January is a great time to invigorate your mind, body, and spirit and set the tone for the coming months. Here are a few suggestions to jumpstart the New Year:
- Get moving. Join a health club and take part in physical recreation. Water aerobics, swimming, volleyball, archery, Tai Chi, dance and yoga are invigorating. Exercise with a tennis or biking buddy. Camaraderie may make “winter blahs” disappear.
- Practice meditation. Focus on your breathing or picture a favorite scene from nature to reduce stress and live in the moment.
- Uncover and explore your talents and skills. Computer training, bread baking, painting, carpentry or interior design may light a fire. Sing with a choir or checkmate your opponent. Have fun growing.
- Reach out to others. Volunteer to dish out soup at a homeless shelter and gratitude will greet you. Is there a youngster who needs extra help with homework or a homebound neighbor who would welcome a visit from you?
- Simplify your life. Sort through magazines and collectibles. Donate clothes you haven’t worn in the last year. A streamlined home and closets make house cleaning and wardrobe decisions easier. Say no to extra projects. You deserve time to read, be with loved ones or just loaf.
- Clear out high fat foods and leftover goodies from the holidays. Munching on fresh celery, carrots, or fruit will give you a lift without the extra calories. Drink a tall glass of water, when you feel hungry, to satisfy a momentary craving without the calories.
- Dress for cooler weather and get outdoors. Sunlight provides vitamin D, a necessary element for calcium absorption and strong bones. Walking is aerobic, so run errands on foot. Fresh air and sunlight put many things into perspective.
- Laugh at yourself and circumstances. Find an opportunity in a challenging event. When a friend of mine didn’t get a promotion at work, it motivated her to open her own business. When you step lightly through your days, it puts a spring in your step and joy in your heart.